Bachelor Final Project
UI / UX / PROTOTYPING / USABILITY TESTING /
ILLUSTRATOR / PHOTOSHOP / JUSTINMIND
2017 - 2018
As part of my bachelor’s degree, I undertook a project about UX and wrote a Thesis about Evaluation and Improvement of KAI Access App using Usability Testing.
KAI Access is the Official Mobile Application from PT. Kereta Api Indonesia to make it easier for people to get information and order train tickets online. KAI Access competes with other train ticket booking apps such as Traveloka, Tiket.com, and others. One of the advantages of KAI Access is the E-Boarding pass feature to perform online check-in without the need to go to a boarding pass printing machine.
I did an application evaluation using Usability Testing and made a proposed improvement by making it into a high-fidelity prototype.
To understand the problems that exist within KAI Access, I did an observation by reading the comments section in the Google Play Store page of the KAI Access App. Other than reading the comments section, I also did interviews with some of its users.
In order to, fully grasp the user’s needs and insight a little more, I used Usability Testing on five users with tasks based on the features that exist on the KAI Access app. It is from this Usability Testing that I also measure the UX Metrics for the task completion rate and the time completion rate.
Some of recordings of screen activity during usability testing
Other than Usability Testing, I also did more evaluations using the System Usability Scale (SUS) to see the users’ rating subjectively regarding the satisfaction and learnability of the KAI Access app. In addition, I sent out Technology Acceptance Model (TAM) questionnaires (Developed by Davis) that measures technology acceptance to measure usefulness of KAI Access app.
I explored a few early ideas in a low-fidelity wireframes, which were sketches on paper to generate ideas on screens that require a redesign in order to develop solutions on KAI Access problems.
By far the best part and the most fun I’ve had in this project. So much so that I had too much fun exploring the many UI and Interactive designs, I didn’t realize the deadline of my thesis was actually just a few days away. I used Photoshop, illustrator and Justinmind to make the high-fidelity prototype. I made the User Interface from redesigning the app on Photoshop, and sent it to Justinmind. For the visuals on the User Interface of the app, I tried to follow the initial designs of the KAI Access app and followed the Android Material Design Guidelines.
Moving the passenger menu button placement from “Account” to the “More” page so that it could be more accessible and shorten the number of pages users have to go through to add passenger data.
Users always forgot or never knew to unselect the current seat number before selecting a new one as there was no notice to unselect the assigned seat. A pop-up message will now show to let the users know to unselect the current seat before changing to their new seat.
A messy e-ticket list. I separated e-tickets into two groups, “active” (paid/unpaid) e-tickets and “past” e-tickets (used) in the My Trips page in order to be more organized.
Current E-boarding pass button placement below the E-ticket page.
Users found it hard to locate the payment information menu. So, the payment information menu placement was moved to the unpaid e-ticket list to make it more accessible for users.
Moving the e-boarding pass menu button placement to the top of the e-ticket page so users could immediately see it when they open the e-ticket page. Also, users can now tell the difference between the e-ticket number and barcode.
A Filtering option on the deals page to narrow down the many choices to let users have what they want faster.
Changing the default icon into the read more button to stand out and be more visible to users. Making the picture and the title of an e-magazine as tap areas to make it easier for users to access e-magazines.
To validate the redesign of the KAI Access app, the usability testing was again used on 5 new participants with the same tasks as before. A high-fidelity prototype was made on the Justinmind software which can then be opened on the Justinmind smartphone app. Usability testing was done with the participants performing the tasks on the high-fidelity prototype on a smartphone.
Overall, participants could do the tasks easily. From quantitative data, it can be seen that overall the redesign of the KAI Access app has a higher metrics value than before.
As an industrial engineer, I’ve learned that there is always a better way. This app redesign could still be improved and there could still be many more design iterations to get the KAI Access app to best suit its users.